Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Now My Blog Posts Are Expandable!

I'd heard in recent months that Blogger would be premiering a new built-in expandable post method. Until now, my Blogger blogs used a custom method for expanding posts. I'm not going to bother to link to any pages or blog posts on the old custom method because that method's now obsolete. If I want to make a blog post expandable, all I have to do now is type, while I'm in "Edit HTML" mode:

<!--more-->

And then to read the whole post, click on these words on the main blog page:

Read more »

One thing this new method makes possible is short posts that don't have to expand at all, like the unexpandable posts on my Posterous blog. Expanding posts become an option, not a necessity.

Needless to say, this means that I'll be doing some serious housekeeping on my blogs. I've started editing my blogs' templates to remove the old custom expandable post method, and then editing all the entries so that they expand the new built-in way rather than the old custom way. And, of course, I'll be adding some stuff and getting rid of other stuff, updating my blogrolls, and so on. I've already started with my project blog; I've switched that blog to the new expanding post method and am editing all the posts accordingly. While I'm at it, I'm setting up a few Pages on that blog, mainly lists of links including the tables of contents to my novels and short story collections. And that will send me back to my project site, which I'll update for the first time in — how long was it? A long long time, I'm guessing. I'm writing some short stories, and I'll be posting some of them there.

And all this work comes at the beginning of AugNoWriMo... *sigh*